Keep Your Eyes Healthy with Eye Exercises
It’s a new year and a new decade. It’s usually a time when people are focused on improving their health and starting healthy habits such as exercising. We thought we’d jump on that bandwagon and recommend some simple eye exercises you can do to keep your eyes healthy and happy all year long. It may seem strange to do eye exercises at first and they are certainly not a substitute for medical care, but these exercises can be helpful if you experience eye strain, blurred vision, dry eyes, and even headaches.
This exercise works by challenging your focus. It’s recommended to be seated for this exercise.
- Hold one of your fingers a few inches away from your eye
- Focus on that finger
- Slowly move that finger away from your face, maintaining your focus
- Look away for a moment into the distance
- Focus on your outstretched finger then slowly bring it back toward your eye
- Look away and focus on something else in the distance
- Repeat three times
Near and far focus
This is another focus exercise. As with the previous one, it should be done while you are in a seated position.
- Place your thumb about 10 inches from your face and focus on it for 15 seconds
- Find an object roughly 10 to 20 feet away, and focus on it for 15 seconds
- Return your focus to your thumb
- Repeat five times
This exercise should also be done while seated.
- Pick a point on the floor about 10 feet in front of you and focus on it
- Trace an imaginary figure eight with your eyes
- Keep tracing for 30 seconds, then switch directions
If you work at a computer all day, the 20-20-20 rule may help prevent eye strain from staring at the screen. To try this rule out, every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds.
While these exercises won’t improve your vision, they may help with minor eye irritations. If you have been diagnosed with glaucoma, cataracts, or astigmatism, these exercises likely won’t do you much good. If you have questions about treatment options for those issues give us a call at 619-425-7755 or 760-352-7755 to learn more about our services to determine the best course of action.